Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2021

The First 3 Commandments

“You shall have no other gods before Me.

“You shall not make for yourself an idol,...

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain,...

The first 3 commandments in Exodus 20 remind Christians of God's holiness, a proper kind of fear of Him, and the exclusivity of worship that He is worthy of.

Do we worship God alone?

Do we worship people, creation, or objects more than or alongside of God?

Do we worship sinful desires or pleasure?

Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. Colossians 3:5 NASB (1995)

Do we set up objects like icons to represent God, and then treat them like idols?

Do we worship God His way?

What about the 3rd commandment?

Do you use God's name as an exclamation (putting "Oh my" before it for example)? Do you think of or treat His name lightly? Do we sing about Him without really thinking about or worshipping Him? Do our thoughts about God treat Him with the honor and reverence He is worthy of?

The commandments show the character of God, and as a Christian I want to love God more and worship Him as He deserves...not to earn justification (as that is by faith). I get tired of the remaining sinfulness in my heart, and I want to worship God in a manner that He is worthy of. I'm reading Revelation now, and I'm reading and listening to things about eschatology. I look forward to future things, but oh, that I would love and draw near to God so much more. Coldness tries to creep upon me, and I hate that.

Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. James 4:7-8
NASB (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment