Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2020

COVID-19 - Trusting God in Times of Trouble

Aisles are emptied of toilet paper and cleaning supplies.
Fears are high.
People are reacting to the news of the pandemic of COVID-19, and the U.S. President has declared a state of emergency.

Churches are having to make decisions (or have been given mandates by governing authorities) not to meet when they have more than a certain amount of people involved.  It isn't as though they are only targeting churches, because the same is true for any gathering.  This isn't a matter of taking the freedom of worship away, and even larger churches can have smaller Bible studies in homes (besides live-streams).
Lots of events have been cancelled.  Some schools are closing, and some are going to online classes.

We have been told that it is older people who are at highest risk as well, as those who have other health issues (heart disease, diabetes, immune disorders, etc.).
Meanwhile, this week I have had a virus...coughing and low-grade fever.
Sure, it makes me nervous.
It's likely some other virus that's been spreading locally (as I have not been out of the country and had little contact with people).  I'm not going out anywhere anyway.
Someone else in the house seems to be getting it as well.
I'll admit I don't like being sick or the extra difficulties it brings.
You can be a germ freak (like me) and still get sick.

It's good to follow precautions, but whether we get sick or when we get sick is ultimately in the hands of God despite our best efforts.
God is good, and He always does what is right.  We can trust Him for that....no matter what.
These things might seem like platitudes, but it is true and can be wrongfully discarded for having heard these things so often.
I must keep reminding myself of what is true about God and what he has done.
I do tend to be fearful even though I don't want to be that way.
Reading Scripture and remembering verses is always a good idea.
I read in Psalm 77 today, and that Psalm is a prime example of how I should be.
That psalmist cried to God though he was discouraged, but he brought things to mind about God and what He had done.
This is very helpful.
Praying is also something I need to continue to do when I am afraid.
When I pray, I can also remember others.
It is so easy to be self-focused.

Those who are able-bodied can also take things to people's doors (if they know they are in need).
I read of a church offering to order groceries for older people to be delivered to their doors.
One thing I can do is try to be an encouragement...even from a distance (though my hands and wrist are aggravated from overuse).
My mind is not always sharp, so I am thankful I can look things up that I've shared with people in the past!

Here are some verses that I hope will encourage you today:

The LORD is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble,
And He knows those who take refuge in Him.
Nahum 1:7

Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” 
In all this Job did not sin with his lips. 
Part of Job 2:10 

And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span?
Luke 12:25

Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is the sustainer of my soul.
Psalm 54:4

Trust in the Lord with all your heart 
And do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 
And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7

And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why have you become disturbed within me?  Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence. 
Psalm 42:5

Why are you in despair, O my soul?  
And why have you become disturbed within me?  
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, 
The help of my countenance and my God. 
Psalm 42:11

in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 
(All verses NASB)

I've seen some videos of Italians singing during their quarantine.  
Wouldn't it be neat if Christians were singing?
It would be really great to be reminding others of our hope in the Lord and that we can still worship Him and trust Him.

Do you know God?  Do you know what will happen when you die?
Please watch this video:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this encouraging word, and for the encouraging Word for God. It's just what I needed! Praise Him forever! I pray that you will recover soon, and that feeble hands will be strengthened.

    ReplyDelete