Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

Gospel Tracts - Silent Preachers

"When preaching and private tale are not available, you need to have a tract ready...get good striking tracts, or none at all...therefore, do not go out without your tracts."
Charles Spurgeon


You may not be qualified or called as a preacher, but you can distribute tracts as silent preachers to go where you cannot.

Are tracts effective evangelism tools? 
First, we have to remember that the content of the tract must be consistent with the teaching of the Scripture as to what the Gospel is.  Yes, Gospel tracts can be and have been used by God.  I've heard of even discarded tracts being picked up and read.  One man who professed faith in Jesus had discovered a tract under his shoe.  I watched his baptism on a Live-Streamed evening service online.

How do you distribute Tracts?
Sometimes you can do something as simple as placing a tract at a doctor or dental office, in boxes, with gift cards, or purses or open packages at stores, or in books or any number of places that can take a tract where it might not normally go even long after you are gone.
You can give one to people who serve you in some way, and if a tip is usual you can make sure it is a reasonably good tip to go with it.

Then there is the actual handing of one to somebody directly.  There are lots of events where this can be done, but tracts can also be given to people you come in contact with in other ways.
I have made the mistake of asking people if they wanted a tract or something like that.  While one or two might have taken one, most of them act suspicious and refuse.
What is the best way to give tracts out?  Some of us may not be naturally smiley, but we can still act pleasant.
Do we really care about the lost?

Let each one of us, if we have done nothing for Christ, begin to do something now. The distribution of tracts is the first thing. - Charles Spurgeon

It isn't the cleverness of speech that saves, but it is the Gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). 
God's sheep will hear His voice, and His Word is truth.  God ordains the means by which people are saved as well as the outcome. 

Tens of thousands of redeemed ones are not regenerated yet, but regenerated they must be; and this is our comfort when we go forth to them with the quickening Word of God.  - Charles Spurgeon

How many churches who claim to be evangelical are even taking baby steps to evangelize the lost?
Do they even know what the Gospel is themselves?
Being friendly and charitable is all well and good, but if you refuse to warn people of God's wrath and Hell and to tell them the good news about Jesus' substitutionary death for sinners and about the hope of the resurrection then you are just comforting their bodies on the way to eternal destruction.  Generally our fear of man and our pride get in the way.  I get it, but do we love God and our fellow men enough to tell them the truth?  Do we fear God or man more?  Are we willing to endure suffering for Christ? 
This is something I struggle with even for myself.  

We must not compromise the truth for the fear of man, and we must obey God though inwardly our hearts may be terrified that we might actually have to open our mouths.  Yes, my memory is bad and my brain often foggy and my head shrieking with ringing.  I might feel light-headed or faint at times.  I can still put a tract somewhere or occasionally give one out directly.  Handing someone a tract might feel something like getting ready to jump off a high place when you are afraid of heights, but it is God who saves and not us.  It's good to pray before distributing tracts, and if I have to speak I can pray God will help my brain function and bring the right things to my mind.
We can pray for one another in this.

Tracts I recommend for beginners:

180 Movie (DVD & business cards)

Are You A Good Person? Tracts

Yes, I've used the million dollar tracts, but I'm a little uncomfortable about them.  They are very easy to give out, but I will leave that to the conscience of each person.  Certainly the ones I still have, I plan to use. 

I have other things, but this is enough for beginners.  Those who can afford it can actually distribute Bibles.

I wish more churches would get involved, but maybe what they need are examples and encouragement.  I hope this post will encourage timid people like myself or people who might not be timid and don't know where to start.  We know that God has used tracts, and no matter that hundreds may fall on soil that isn't good...that one that God might save is worth it.  Even when rejected, God is accomplishing His purposes.  We may never know until heaven, but I want to be faithful though it may be more difficult for me than some.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the quality of tracts available has improved over the years. I especially like those that point out problems with the unbeliever's worldview.

    ReplyDelete