Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The U.S. Election & Christian Reconciliation

Another U.S. Presidential election has been decided.
Neither of the major candidates were my choice, but God is Sovereign.
I voted my conscience...for a write-in that I believe would have been superb...Nathan Busenitz..a professor at The Master's Seminary.
I knew that Donald Trump was highly likely to win the state of Tennessee anyway, so my friends who were anxious about my not voting for him should not have worried.

If Hillary had won, God would still be Sovereign, as much as it would have been bad news for our country.
Many of us may consider Donald Trump the lesser of two judgments, but that doesn't mean that all will be a bed of roses.
Many of my friends voted for Trump - trusting that he actually will stand for unborn babies in the womb.
All Christians should pray that he truly will stand for life, because he has shown himself to be a man of shifting views.

I have been reading 2 Kings, and I have seen how Israel and Judah had many kings who were disobedient to God and allowed false worship - even passing their children through the fire.
Every so often, there was a king who did right.
Some of those still allowed some evil to continue 
Because of the sin, judgment was still coming.
Yet, God showed much patience for His own sake - and for the sake of David.

America is not Israel or Judah.  It is not God's chosen people, but there are still those of us in it who are His adopted children.
Many of us prayed for mercy, and we voted based on our conscience.
Yes, I voted for a state and U.S. Representative...as well as writing in for President.

Now,  despite the outcome, we can't stop praying, and I hope that Christians who attacked one another will once again show the love that is supposed to mark the children of God.
I never pronounced judgment on those who voted for Trump, but I did stand up against people who seemed to want to judge me for not voting for him.
I have no reason to be counted guilty.

Elections sometimes bring out the worst in people, but my desire is that believers will be reconciled as true Christians should be.
We are to be lights in the world, and I fear that we have not acted very Christ-like.

Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
Romans 12:10 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment