Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2017

A Medical Story

From the amusing to the horrific, many people have their own medical stories.
I decided to share this little story with you.

The other week when they were getting me prepared to be put under for removing a couple of my wisdom teeth, the lady who was supposed to put the IV port in kept wiping my arm and hand with alcohol wipes (or whatever they use) and patting different places on my hand and arm. 
She wasn't finding any vein that she was willing to try using.
She even tried slapping at one point. 
Finally, she decided to try the other arm. 
Again, she wiped and patted for awhile. 
This was taking way too long.
She reached for the needle and ouch! 
She stuck herself with the needle! 
Needless to say, I was feeling nervous about her capabilities. 
I hoped she wouldn't try putting that needle into me!
I was preparing mentally to try to shield myself or maybe to combat her arm....something like that...if she tried. 
Thankfully, she did as she should and went to dispose of that needle. 
She came back to try again.  Oh, no!

Another lady there offered to try if the first lady wanted her to.
The lady accepted.
Whew! I was hopeful that this other lady would be more experienced than the first!
Well,  this woman really went for it quickly, and she shoved it further into my hand after the initial entry.  Ouch!  She warned me I'd have a bruise.

Once they started to put something through the tube I was saying, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" 
Yes, I owed my way to sleep, and when they gave me anti-nausea medicine through the port after I was awake, there were more exclamations of "Ow!"
Apparently, the vein was small or something, and that's why it was so painful.
I don't know, but I think they need some retraining done at that place.

I've had worse bruising than I got from that painful experience, but there is still a yellowish tint to my hand right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment