Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rick Warren and John Piper

This particular blog post is for Christian readers.
I read yesterday and some today from a couple of articles online about Rick Warren and John Piper. I have been concerned about Piper both to do with seemingly promoting Rick Warren (inviting him to teach at a conference and Piper having one at Rick's church and doing an interview it seems that could turn people to following Rick Warren and his teaching) and also their having Beth Moore lessons in some women Bible study classes at the church he pastors. I really have benefited from John Piper's teaching over the years I believe. Although there are times when he says some things I don't quite agree with (not a lot of that) or that offend me some with their shock value, I appreciate him as a brother in Christ who I have learned a lot from. Still, I have my eyes open, and I think other people should as well in thinking clearly about even those you might consider a spiritual "hero." It deflates one when you learn things about people that show they aren't perfect, but then maybe I was holding him too high. If you want to know what I'm talking about, please take a look at the following articles. I really liked the first one by Tim Challies.
http://www.challies.com/articles/thinking-about-rick-warren-john-piper#more
The one below I'm a little cautious about, because it's about people quoted and books sold. I don't know the full story of why they are endorsed, but this is something to think about.
http://apprising.org/2011/05/30/john-piper-rick-warren-foster-williardism/

Update 2018:  I cannot endorse Piper anymore due to his view of double justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment