Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Using Talent...for God

I was thinking earlier today about people with talent especially in singing, but I also can think about other capabilities as well.
I used to dream of being a singer, although I have probably an average voice and never completed lessons…barely started a home school audio course. I was also told I couldn’t be a singer when I was young, because as a child I damaged my vocal cords. Well, my dream never came to pass. As the years have gone by I have lost hearing to the point where quite a bit of the joy has gone out of my singing. I can still sing, and I can sing for God. It's just that it doesn't sound sharp to my ears...muted some, and in church with so many other people I get concerned about going off key if I sing louder.
I was thinking today about people at my church who have talent , and that they shouldn’t take it for granted and should use it. If they can play an instrument or sing or whatever, then why not make use of it for as long as they are able?
I mean voices and hearing can go and physical abilities can be removed from us. With my FMS, I know that very well.
What is even more important is what a person’s talent is used for and the motives behind it.
If you use your talent for yourself and then you lose fame and ability or riches you have lost all that you worked for, and it‘s really meaningless.
Some people have so many gifts that pride can creep in. Even if what they do appears to be for God to others, they will lose much of the blessing. That is the other side that I do get concerned about.
“A man’s pride will bring him low,
But a humble spirit will obtain honor.”
Proverbs 29:23 NASB
That verse is true for everybody as well I believe. As a Christian, whatever God has for me to do I don’t want to do it out of pride or pleasing others. I struggle with those sins as much as anyone.
Another thought about my own life is that I have learned to appreciate even more what I’ve lost physically, and I’m thankful I was able to enjoy doing things when I was younger that I cannot do as much of or with as much enjoyment now. I have a lot to be thankful for really.
Even today, I know God can use me with all of my faults and disabilities. That’s what I want…for God to use me for His glory.

“seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
2 Peter 1:3-8 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment