Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Biblically-Anemic Preaching: The Devastating Consequences of a Watered-Down Message

Churches so often have entertainment to try to bring people in. That can often water down the message to the level of watching an entertaining TV program that may make it seem ludicrous rather than serious. Some church programs and events I feel are actually are more of a turn off or lead to easy believism, and there have been some that I have actually walked out of with the bad language, etc., that upset me. Skits, plays, the social gospel or spending a lot of time on politics and Americanism in an actual church service doesn't help me or anybody else to grow spiritually.

I've been in a couple of churches where the music was so loud that I was afraid my hearing was getting more damaged...literally. It certainly didn't help me to worship better. In fact, I went outside to listen once or twice.
A lot of "worship" songs and even some old hymns out there have shallow and/or unBiblical lyrics which make me cringe.
Some song lyrics are even shallow to the point of devaluing Jesus in the minds of the singers and listeners.
I know there are some good songs out there with Biblical lyrics and tunes...don't get me wrong. The problem is that music directors in churches do not always have the discernment to know which songs are doctrinally sound and which are way off. They also don't all consider what will help the most number of people to actually think about the words instead of being annoyed by the music.

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,
and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and
marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 NASB


I found the following article hard hitting and helpful on what to look for in a pastor. It's also very helpful for pastors to read as well...if you know one that you'd like to share it with.
It's about how preaching should be about God and the Bible instead of self, entertainment, and sticking on superficial bandages. Novel idea these days, huh?
Please check out the link:

Biblically-Anemic Preaching: The Devastating Consequences of a Watered-Down Message

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy." Proverbs 27:6 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment