Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

My 911 Call & Ambulance Ride

This past Sunday I called 911 as my pulse had gone up to 130 sitting down.  I was having difficulty breathing and was feeling at times like I might lose consciousness.  I prayed for God to slow my heart down and I think for wisdom what to do.   Because I had been having  trouble breathing before my family left for church, my Mom had been concerned and mentioned about calling the church or 911 if I needed to.

I looked for a phone number for the church the rest of my family goes to and wasn't finding it quickly.  Not knowing whether I might faint alone at home or if my pulse was too dangerously high (I knew I was having tachycardia) I finally called emergency.
I was home and had been waiting for my ride to church.  She showed up shortly before the ambulance.  The 911 operator was willing to and stayed on the line until the ambulance guys came.

Before they got to our house I managed to scoot down some steps to the door to unlock and open for the ambulance people.  The guys helped me to a chair and carried me to the ambulance.  The lady from church was very helpful.  I was concerned about my family's reaction and did not really think very much about if I was going to die (perhaps for a short bit) so much as what I was going to experience and was experiencing.  This was my first ride in an ambulance that I can remember and it was pretty smooth.  Apparently my neighbor who drives an ambulance told them where the street is since they couldn't find it.

I wasn't excited about the needle stuck in my hand or having to lean forward to get stickers placed on me so they could get pictures of my heart.  It took a long time before they decided to go to the local hospital.
The lady from church followed us to the hospital and also got ahold of my Dad by phone when they got home.  They ended up allowing her in  and she stayed until my family came.

 I had some different tests done including for congestive heart failure, and finally they used IV fluids.  They felt that that seemed to help, and I was on a clear liquid diet until the next day.

The people in the ambulance did not seem to know what P.O.T.S. and  N.C.S. were, but it turns out that what I experienced was related to that.  They should read up on it!  I hadn't had that fast of a heartbeat before when taking my blood pressure or when I had a 30 day Holter monitor test before, but others have high numbers like that and even higher I have learned since this experience.  Still, my family believes calling 911 was the right thing to do...and so do I since I was alone at the time.

While at the hospital I heard about a 10 year old girl who had a low heart rate and blood pressure or something.  I heard a kid crying and other noises that disturbed me.  The kid cried out something like "Please help me!" and some more I couldn't either understand or don't remember.  I teared up and was praying for that kid.  After a short while it was quiet. 

If you don't know where you are going when you die, please look at the following link and look at or listen to the message "Hell's Best Kept Secret."

No comments:

Post a Comment