Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

My Concerns About Rick Warren

I know that Rick Warren is very popular out there, but as a Christian I have very serious concerns about him. One of the issues I have with him it that it seems that he is rather ecumenical relating to Catholics.
Furthermore, he seems to want to connect with people of other religions like Muslims and Catholics without proclaiming the Gospel to them.

I strongly hold to the belief that it is important that they hear the Truth from God's Word rather that just getting along and working together on projects. In fact, my thought is that if we are not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14-16) that means that we really shouldn't have a goal of working together with them. 

I read in a blog post by someone else (I won't name him here as I'm not exactly solidly quoting) that this means not to work together in ministry or for the forwarding of the Gospel with them. We may not be able to choose who passes things on, but we should make it clear that we do not hold the same beliefs or solicit them to work with us is my thinking. I probably have made some mistakes on this in small ways myself, although not intentionally.

After all, the point is not to make people of other religions happy with us, because the Gospel is an offense to unbelievers. Isn't it more important to show true love by giving people the Gospel and showing them the error of their ways than trying to make them feel good while they are going to hell? I know that sounds a bit strong, but isn't that what it can do?

Here is a video that adresses another one of the issues I have with the teaching of Rick Warren.




The following is a link that has to do with fads in the church that are problematic. Rick Warren's book The Purpose Driven Life is included.

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Articles/A282

Here are some other links about Rick Warren that I am updating this blog post with:

http://www.crossencounters.us/2012/02/theres-lion-on-ground.html

http://carm.org/more-stuff/features/rick-warren-and-proposition-8

http://apprising.org/category/rick-warren/


No comments:

Post a Comment