Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Is Your Motivation Love For God or Benefits?

While I believe that it is also Biblical to do things with the joy ahead in mind (as Christ did - Hebrews 12:2), I do not believe that we should give money or serve God for the sake of greed of what we can get here on earth.

Too many televangelists and others have deceived people into treating giving like the lottery with themselves really as the beneficiary.

I find the Bible demonstrates that what we do should be for the Lord, in love for others, and with the life to come in view (for those who are truly Christians).

In recent times, I find myself often praying for love for God.
I feel my love is never at the level that I want it to be.
I suppose that is how it was for Simon Peter when Jesus was asking him if He loved Him.



But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.
1 Timothy 6:6-7 NASB

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.
1 Timothy 6:10-11 NASB

Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!

Psalm 119:36 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment