Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Seeing God's Providence In The Little Things

Sometimes acts of kindness from strangers surprise us.  
When we were seeing my brother off at the airport, my Dad was pushing me in a wheelchair from a parking lot trying to find my family.  It felt like it was quite a distance, and we went through one building and into another parking lot not knowing for sure how far to go.  He was getting tired out from walking and pushing, and my legs were tired of trying to help propel myself along with his pushing.

My Dad finally asked some people for directions, and a man came and pushed me back into the building and even went up the elevator with us.  He wasn't wearing a uniform, and I'm not sure if he was some kind of worker or what.  I gave him a Thank You Gospel tract, but then I wondered if I should have tipped him.  I didn't know.

Later at a creamery, after I bought some ice cream and was trying to get back between tables to where my Mom was, some man with a beard (that had pink on either the beard or his hair in a strange way) offered to make sure that I got through.  I was so intent on getting through and feeling badly that I was making someone's table move that I didn't turn back.  I'm not sure what happened to him, but I don't remember if I thanked him like I should have.  You really can't judge by appearances.

I'll admit that I really don't like strangers coming behind and pushing me.  Part of that is because I feel disadvantaged, or in some cases I feel capable of taking care of myself.  The other part is I feel a healthy sense of danger from strangers (no matter how they look).  Still, I appreciate that there are those who really are generous enough to want to help someone.  There have been others who have done nice things for me in my life.  I'm sure you've likely met people like that.  Maybe you are one of those who has done things like that.

There are other times when little blessings come into our lives.  Meeting someone who is familiar with some of the same people you are and shares common beliefs, or when at just the right time you read something that encourages you either in Scripture or something written by another Christian that is a reminder of God's providences at just the right time.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in our goals and feelings and all the bad things going on in the world that we dismiss from our minds the seemingly random acts of kindness or the blessings that come our way.

As a Christian, I know that God is sovereign even over the little things, and I should be more thankful for these.  Even the bad things that happen in this world have purpose.  It is so easy for me to grumble about things or be discouraged and depressed. 

There is a Biblical precedence for reminding ourselves of the goodness and power of God in the past. This can help us through the difficulties of the present to remind ourselves that He is trustworthy.
Even when I'm down,  I need to remember to give thanks and to look forward to seeing what God will do through my trying times.

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. (fr. Psalm 46:1 NASB)

Do all things without grumbling or disputing;  Philippians 2:14 NASB

For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  Romans 15:4 NASB

always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father;  Ephesians 5:20 NASB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment