Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Hold On (Peter Furler) / Trusting Jesus in Trying Circumstances

Whatever you are going through, if you belong to Jesus He will work it out for your ultimate good. This is something I should remind myself of when I start to get anxious instead of trusting God for the future and the what if's.   I find myself struggling with doubts and fears way too often!

I think of different situations when I hear the song Hold On by Peter Furler (which I found a video for with the lyrics online that I'm sharing below).  
I have thought of the September 11, 2001 attacks at times while listening to the song as well as the tornadoes that have happened in more recent times.
I believe it could also relate to earthquakes, broken or difficult relationships, persecution, deaths, floods, fires, tsunamis, hurricanes, as well as other stresses of life.

God is Sovereign over all of these things, and for Christians we know that nothing happens that doesn't come first through God.  He is trustworthy.   So, if we have pain or even die physically, we know that it won't happen apart from His Sovereign plan ... which is good ... even when we can't know all of the results.   We can trust God to either lift us out of or take us through all difficult situations.
I also know that during these times God is purifying us like gold or silver in a fire to better reflect our Lord's Image and remove our impurities.  We are like diamonds made to shine brighter.  Trials often point out our sin to us (not trusting, anger, impatience, lack of obedience, being unloving or unforgiving).  They also give opportunity to have our faith shine and to glorify God better. 

Whatever the trial, I'm thankful that it doesn't have to be wasted. It's a test, and if we hold on to Jesus we can't go wrong.

 

Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12 NASB

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment